Tuesday, June 15, 2010

i've been 'dyeing' to tell you...

Today was fairly productive, and definitely exhausting. Gretchen and I started "Dye Week" and it did not start off lightly. We dyed sock yarn solid blue and solid gold.

After we got the solid yarns going, we got another fleece going, but I was awful and didn't take any pictures of it. But then we started hand-painting, which is not only fun, but beautiful. This is Gretchen's, and her graceful coloring.

And this is mine. She gave me the freedom to design some of my own batches. I used a different yarn. Gretchen was using a Dorset sock yarn, but I'm using a Tunis and Romney blend. My yarn started out grey, while Gretchen's was white. Say hello to Fiery Maple.

I did another one, with purples, blues, and a little magenta/fuchsia, but you'll have to wait until its done to see that. Apparently, I had a hole in my glove, and this is what my poor hand looked like. All I could think of was my mom, and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. "Pumpkin, you're turning... pumpkin!!"

Now, after the hand-paints are all tied up tight in their plastic, and we've taped the dickens out of them, the little jelly rolls get put in the steamer for 45 minutes.

Aww, don't they just look yummy? Warning: Do not eat. Not only is yarn bad for your digestion, but the dyes would probably make you really sick, if not kill you. On a less morbid note, the scarves are blocked, dried, and ready to be labeled. :)

And now I can enjoy a cup of Lavender Earl Grey Tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment