Wednesday, July 7, 2010

wet and wooly

This is Gina. She's a llama. Well, go on! Say "hello". Ok, fine. I'll get back to her later. Today, at RedGate Farm, we washed wool. All day. I have decided I like this job. It is a great job for multi-taskers. Wool washing goes something like this: Fill up buckets of fleece with hot water. Let soak for an hour. Dump out buckets of fleece into plastic strainers. Dump out dirty water and fill clean buckets with a scoop of soap, wet fleece, and more hot water. Let soak an hour. Drain soapy fleeces out and fill clean buckets with plain hot water and soapy fleeces. Let soak for some time. Repeat draining, filling, and waiting until fleeces are substantially clean. So, that's what, three hours waiting time? Like I'm going to sit around all that time? Nonsense!! That gives me a whole hour to knit! Or skein! Or knit! Or do computer work! Or knit! Did I mention knit? Now, of course, once we had gotten one fleece started and through the clean rinse part, we started another fleece, but we still can really only do two at a time, and they still need to soak. Thus, this and inventory are my favorite jobs so far. Mind you, I do at least like everything I've been doing. But anyway, back to Gina. You should already be familiar with Gina. This is her friend, The General. On insanely hot days like today, they like to be sprayed down with water to help keep them cool. Gina may look like she's flinching, but really, she just doesn't like getting water in her eyes. You don't either, do you? While Sue and Bill were walking the llamas, this butterfly landed on Bill's back. The butterflies here are very brave. Tomorrow brings more epic heat, and shearing photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment