Tuesday, July 6, 2010

big day

I'm back. And already I've been busy. Today was a big day across the board. Today is my first real day back, and marks the beginning of the second half of my internship. This morning we sheared the sheep at Solitude. The little ewe lambs looked so adorable. I'll have to try and get a better picture of them. The shearer, Margie, didn't shave the bottoms of their legs (known as the boots) or the tops of their heads (known as the caps). They looked like they were wearing leg-warmers and blonde-tipped afros. The ram lambs only had their bellies sheared. That is because they will be shown at the 4H fair later this season. Some of the older sheep were also sheared. There are pictures, I promise. I just have to get them off my camera. After all the sheep were settled, and the barn was clean, and the goats were back, Gretchen and I headed over to Sue's farm. And now, I'm here. I'll be here, at Red Gate Farm, for the next few days learning about washing fleeces. And I've already begun a little. There is a lovely white Targee fleece out to dry right now. But I think I'm going to settle in for now, and get those pictures off my camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment